Creative Sustainability and Business Improvement

Using creativity to reinvent the Bloomfield Avenue Corridor.

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Montclair Historical District and Bloomfield Avenue Improvement

Wellmont Theatre, Bloomfield Avenue
circa 1922
For those who may be curious about the Historical Districts in Montclair, the best way to know if you happen to be in one is to look for the brown street signs.

One major historical district runs along the Bloomfield Avenue Corridor, however, there is no official map linked to the Historical Preservation Commission designation report. I asked the HPC for a map and/or parameters for the district about two weeks ago but haven't had a response to date.

I wish I could say more about the Montclair Historical Society, but I've been trying to reach them for two years (this is true). I initially reached out to them in order to secure an internship during graduate school and proceeded to do so on five occasions but they never responded, which would have been a professional courtesy, even if they weren't looking for free help. They also do not have an email address on their website. I then tried to reach out to the society for different reasons correlating with my studies and projects I worked on, but was again unsuccessful.

In light of these issues, I still feel that knowing about the history of Montclair is important and will add information to this site that will help improve the Bloomfield Avenue Corridor by using Historical Preservation as a subtext to the overall improvement.